Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Prayer


I really like being near to God, so I pray at times. Prayer sometimes seems strange to me. To me it is a very personal exercise of faith, yet often I'm required or called to lead prayer in a group. In that regard its like two worlds of prayer, personal and intimate and then also out in the open and exposed. I've always struggled with praying with people; most difficult is with my wife and family. I feel this pressure to pray with them as a "spiritual" leader, yet its really tough to make a habit of it. Anyway, I like the fruit of praying, being nearer to God, seeing answers to my prayers, really great things, but I still struggle with just doing it. I like being challenged to pray more. We have this thing (pictured) at our worship gathering called a "prayer vase". People write out their prayers and drop them in. We pray for them during the week. I like this. It helps me pray more often.

3 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I know exactly what you mean about praying out loud with other people and i struggle with it too... i sometimes ponder if i will actually be able to be the 'spiritual leader' in my future family if i am unconfortable doing this

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Ken said...

Ryan, Do you think there is more to being a spiritual leader? Than praying? I am thinking that all my actions as a man trying live the life of Jesus, you know loving, caring, being strong for others, listening and the like has a much more profound effect with my spiritual leadership than what I gotta do to look like a piritual leader.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

I think that in many cases that yes actions do speak louder than words. i invision my future son or daughter physically seeing me in my daily devotions and that having a powerful effect. However, in the case of prayer i think it is a huge way to guide a family along. In a way is an action with words so its important, but i think that prayer without living the life of jesus is empty.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home