Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Non-verbals II


So the concept of how God speaks to us non-verbally is on my mind and some others so here's a previous post to read.

I was just wondering the other day that if upwards of 75% of human communication is non-verbal, what does that mean for our prayer life. I would imagine that since we're created in the image of God maybe that's true of Him too. So maybe as we interact with regular daily life we non-verbally pray. Maybe much more oftener than we realize. For instance if we really do the "be still" thing, we actually speak volumes to God in a prayer of trust and such.

Anyway, I really pondered this on my vacation. It seems that my responses really reveal to me what God may be trying to communicate to me when he speaks without words. When you're driving along and out of the corner of your eye, you see a rainbow in a canyon something speaks to you into your soul (that's this picture). My breath expands and I am in awe and something me hesitates and I know that life is really special and there is so much to it. It's the word transcendent, something is so much beyond me, something/someone so creative and beautiful and out there that all parts of me just seem to stop and go awwwwwe. The non-verbals speak to me deeply, but without words. I think it is God saying this is who I am, this is my art, this is my soul and I want to share it with you. Even since I've gotten back I have seen cool stuff that does this, its just that Kauai is condensed glory

2 Comments:

At 2:55 PM, Blogger Than Brown said...

Does God speak non-verbally only through creation or nature, or can God speak non-verbally by other means?

Is the non-verbal speaking of God merely a sense of his presence or his majesty?

Does God communicate non-verbally to everyone?

A few questions that emerged from your posting in my own mind. Perhaps my biggest hangup lies in the term "speaking." Perhaps we are playing word games, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say that God is revealing elements of his nature rather than speaking non-verbally?

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Ken said...

Good questions. The only other non-verbals that come to mind other than creation would be how the spirit groans or utters. I would imagine there are more ways. What do yo think? I think that it is both presence and majesty, with presence being a much more relational concept and I believe that God is highly interested in that. I do think non-verbals connect with all people, but they may not interpret it as such. Your insight on the word "speaking" is on target especially because it in essence betrays the concept of non-verbal, since we speak words. Regardless, I am very intrigued that God can and will communicate something to me without using words. I like that, and to me it opens up a whole world of possibilities.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home