Friday, October 27, 2006

Liminality

There is a term I have read recently in two different books. It is the term liminality. It means a period of transition between two different places where someone or something is in neither one place nor in the other.

I really identify with this concept. Personally I feel like I am between two worlds and neither of them fit me. I feel clumsy here in this world, as though I am blind and am fumbling my way through life. I am without the information I need, the tools to live well or a guide to take my hand. I feel/know I am made for a different world than here, or if it is here, it's not for like it is.

I do have some handles, but they seem to be of either one of the other worlds of which I am stuck between, so it is difficult to gather a strong semblance of comfort or workability. Possibly I may not be meant to be able to make this work or be comfortable here, but maintain a longing for life in a different world.

So liminality really describes the place I find myself. I am here on this world longing for my true home, which some describe as heaven. I like to call it home. I just know I am made for a different world and living in this world requires that I somehow connect with Jesus to guide me through each day.

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you! Thanks for letting God use you tonight to bring honesty, hope, and home to Elevation.

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW--did Matt G sell his blog to the corporation or did someone hijack it?

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Sissy Wanderer said...

Reading this makes me think about reccommending two movies, "Nobody Knows" which is Japanese, and, "Children of Heaven", from Iraq. I don't know why they come to me as a response to your narrative. You tell me after you see them how they are connected to your writing (if indeed, they are related).
O X O X
Sistwa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home