Sunday, August 28, 2005

Community

This morning I went out to see the Balloon Festival that was in the State park next to my home. I walked over there got some photos and marveled at how simple the concept of hot air rising and slight morning wind currents could fill me with so much intringue. It was cool. It was also interesting to me how this was our community's own little festival. We live in a place that is pure suburbia, we don't have any summer festival with a carnival, watermelon eating contests and a parade. Where I grew up we had the annual Huckleberry Festival, no kidding! We don't have much of a sense for this is our town. We don't have a main street, just random streets everywhere with no center. I really think something is missing. I think we were created with a desire, longing and need to have a connected larger community. Suburbs were made without this design inside humans in mind. Possibly it was intentionally left out. Until next year, I think I will do what I can to meet more neighbors, and to plan to do something at the Balloon Festival that is intentional about community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home