Monday, October 24, 2005

Authenticity


I was wondering why it is such a difficult struggle for some people to be authentic or real. Is it a cultural thing for Americans? Or do just certain personalities struggle with letting people see the real person behind the mask? I know a lot of people who live their lives open and vulnerable and without a mask. It doesn't seem to be a thing of faith, on the contrary it seems that if you're involved with a church, you probably wear a more significant mask. I know I do at times and I don't like it. Anyway, I am part of a community of faith that is exploring being real, being human and being authentic. Pray for us so we can lower our masks.

3 Comments:

At 12:59 AM, Blogger Adrienne Gibson said...

Hhhhmmm... as a therapist I would say one of the greatest things a person can achieve on the way to better mental health, is the ability to recognize the masks we wear and to find understanding in why we feel it is necessary to wear them. I found for myself (like what you said) the mask I have most in place and the one I get so use to puting on, is the mask I wear to church. I wish that was the place where we could leave our masks outside. Lately I have been learning that I hate that mask. The mask for me ensures that more people will like me and feel comfortable around me but I am now uncomfortable being a phony. I trust that (some)people will like me with my mask off!!!

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Ken said...

From all I've seen I like you. And I even saw you being snotty once!

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Mellifluous said...

To be really authentic takes guts, and its hard to lay the "real me" out there to be judged. Having confidence in who you were made and how human you are is a challenge in our culture. The message you get from the media is "perfection is all that is truly worthy." And for too long, that's been the message in the church as well.

I'm not totally familiar with many other cultures, but I'd say its definitely related to ours.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home